Monday 25 April 2011

A little bit about me

I was born Tuesday ('full of grace' yeah right) 13th October 1970, according to my mother almost head first down the toilet...I started how I meant to go on. I was raised initially in Essex, until my parents realised that in future years I may end up on a reality TV show and moved me and my older sister to the Isle of Man.
From an early age my mother enjoyed dressing me up at the slightest excuse; Queen Elizabeth I for the jubilee and a Playboy bunny girl (I was 6!) for a school fancy dress competition (I won) are 2 occasions that spring to mind. Once on the Isle of Man, my parents ran a very successful cafe for several years, a cafe I waitressed in to earn my pocket money. Again my mother's tendency to want to dress me up surfaced and I was given little aprons to wear for one particular customer (where on earth were social services at this time?!)
My childhood also included falling over a lot (remember 'full of grace'!) and going to school. During this time I grew a few inches both upwards and outwards, learnt stuff and passed exams. I got a job at the local cinema as an usherette, which led to a pathological hatred of Top Gun (made to sit through it 13 nights in a row) and a fear of The Shining poster (you go into a dark room where that is the first thing you see when you switch the light on and you won't be laughing then!) but also encouraged my love of films.
At this point I left school and went to work in a bank, a job I was not suited to at all. I could not bring myself to charge customers for any letters I sent out to them - so if you ever received a bank letter signed by either 'Sandra Jones' or 'Sandra Willis' you never had to pay for it! This time of my life also includes my getting married at the tender age of 19, a terrible choice at the time due to wedding photos showing terrible 80's perm and puffy dress (I blame my mother's early influence of dressing me up). The following year I gave birth to my eldest son, he arrived on Sunday 16th June 1991 at 1.06pm weighing in at an eye watering 8lbs 8 1/2 ozs. I also changed career and became a childminder. My son was a placid baby and toddler which led me to decide to have another, and on Sunday 30th January 1994 at 3.15am weighing in at an eye popping 9lbs 1oz my youngest son was born. He was a handful and believe me if he had been first he would have been an only child! Both boys have since grown up to be sons I am very proud of.
I changed careers again to care assistant at a home for the elderly and then a residential social worker for adults with learning disabilities. Then I made a life changing decision and split from my husband, due to the fact I no longer wanted to be a doormat. I then changed career again and for several years I was a civil registrar for births, marriages and deaths.
In this period of my life I learnt that some members of the opposite sex found me attractive; I stopped traffic 1 TT week as I crossed Douglas Promenade (a memory I will hold onto for life) and I also got chatted up by the weird and not so wonderful - something I will go into in more depth another time. However due to a promise I made to my then 8 year old son that it would only ever be me, him and his little brother I remained single - now that he is almost 20 I would appreciate it if he freed me from that promise!
My many dating experiences will be detailed in another blog, you will need tissues for the tears of laughter that will stream down your face.
This now brings me to now - well last year I left my Registrar job and this year I now do less stressful and more fun jobs, including being an Ann Summers Party Organiser. Last year also saw the birth of my gorgeous grandson who arrived on Friday 9th April 2010 at 5.23pm weighing in at 9lbs 1oz (just like his uncle).
So here we are my first blog, more will follow and will include my dating disasters (including being dumped before the first date) and other embarrassing moments (like when i sent a rather rude photo of self to a local radio station by accident!).
Hopefully see you back here soon for more.
Sandie x

No comments:

Post a Comment